The Cousins of Clounstown & Killeglan
These cousins are the children of Oliver and Elizabeth Bomford of Cushenstown, primarily Thomas of Clounstown, and the children of Laurence and Susanna of Killeglan, primarily their son Laurence of Killeglan. Both the fathers died in 1721 leaving their children minors; but the two mothers, Elizabeth and Susanna Wilson, who are sisters, are alive. The following two spider trees will serve to introduce them.
Having placed most of this family from the deeds it was pleasing to find, quite by chance, in the Royal Irish Academy a file titled “The Upton Papers”. Number 28/110 concerns the Bomfords of Cushenstown ‘as communicated by Sir A. M. B. Irwin, CSI, June 1916’; Irwin served with the ICS in Punjab and Burma where he became a judge, and then retired to Dublin. It is not known from where Irwin got his information but his papers confirmed much of what I had found and adds even more; I suspect that he researched the records in the Four Courts which during the troubles were destroyed by fire and so are lost for ever. Irwin's papers are in the National Library, Dublin, manuscript collection: G.O. MSS (Genealogical Office Manuscripts) 432-435: Will abstracts, pedigrees and other genealogical notes on Irwin and allied families, compiled by Sir Alfred Irwin c. 1900-1920, with indexes of principal surnames. Sir Alfred Macdonald Bulteel Irwin seems to have been the youngest son of the Venerable Henry Irwin, Archdeacon of Killukin, Co Rosscommon, and his wife Frances Elizabeth Hinde (Leonard Riley email 20 Feb 2009; http://sticky.bravehost.com/aqwc19.htm; IGI). Frances Elizabeth Hinde was a granddaughter of Benjamin Hinde and his wife, Frances Amelia Bomford, but by which of their three sons (17.2.2) is not known, except that it was not their son Richard as he was Irwin's mother's uncle (Leonard Riley email 20 Feb 2009).
The entry for Elinor comes from the Upton Papers; I have seen no other evidence of her existence. Similarly it was these papers which placed the sequence of the children except for John who was omitted.
Speaking generally it is comparatively easy to trace a family which owned land as the deeds were all registered, but once the family leaves the land and settles in a town, as both Oliver’s and Laurence’s grand-children did, they become more difficult to trace. Admittedly there are such reference books as the Dublin Almanacks but they only give the name of a merchant or a householder for that particular year and there is little, if any, continuity. The result is that both these branches of the Bomford family are open ended and continuity is lost around 1800; there are many ‘unplaced’ Bomfords who I feel sure are members of the family but the clues are missing to tie them in definitely.
The sequence of the children and the names of the three girls come from Laurence's will of 1721 (2.21). Leslie Mills (email 21 Jul 2008) reports 'the Upton pedigree sheet' records that Laurence and Susanna had four children: Jane, John, Mary and Thomas and that 'all died young'. That is clearly at variance with the will as recorded from two sources, so is discounted here. Leslie also reports that from Upton’s extract of Andrew Wilson's will dated 9 Feb 1724 (No 25/114) (1.10.1), he left £20 a year to his neice Susanna Bomford and £100 each to her children and an additional £100 for each of her daughters, so there must have been a number of them alive at that date.
Arthur Reynell of Castle Reynell, alias Blackcastle, Co Westmeath, leases fee farm to Lawrence Bomford of Rathfeigh, Co Meath, at a rent of £200 the town and lands of Milltown and Ballymagiddon in the Barony of Demifore, Co Westmeath, containing 455 plantation acres (737 statute).
Signed: Lawrence Bomford
Witnessed: James Nugent of Nugentstown, Co Westmeath. (Book 76 Page 333 No 54695)
Laurence Bomford of Rathfeigh hands over to Elizabeth Reynell, widow of Arthur Reynell, the lands of Milltown and Ballymagiddon in the Barony of Demifore containing 452 plantation acres
(732 statute) (Book 86 Page 12 No 59046)
1. The problem with these two deeds is that it is not clear which Laurence is the subject. Two of about the same age are available; there is Laurence the 4th son of Oliver, and his cousin the eldest son of Laurence the elder of Killeglan. To my mind the clue is ‘of Rathfeigh’ because Rathfeigh was one of Oliver’s properties, which would have been kept among Oliver’s children rather than the cousins. Therefore Laurence is probably the son of Oliver who has just married Ann Echlin in 1733.
2. These two places are immediately north of the southern tip of Lough Derravaragh and include Whitehall Chapel. They do not reappear after this short time as a Bomford property. Indeed it is possible that the deed is not a lease at all but is a mortgage in which Laurence gave £200 to Arthur Reynell and Arthur['s widow, Elizabeth] paid back the loan in 1736 when the security on the land was handed back.
3. Arthur Reynell who died in 1735 and his brother Richard Reynell married daughters of Robert Cooke of Cookesborough. Richard’s two sons married Winter sisters, Jane and Mary Winter, who were aunts to Arbella and George Bomford the elder (24.5).
The date of the marriage is not known but the licence is recorded in three places, (a) the Bonds prerogative, (b) the Registry of Deeds in Book 120, Page 132, Number 82091 which mentions no land but simply states that a marriage licence has been granted on 10th May 1744 to “Lawrence Bomford of Killeglan and Jane Smith of Dublin”, and (c) in Betham’s notebooks which gives more information and reads “Bomford Lawrence of Ratoath, Co Meath, gent, and Jane Smith of the Parish of St Andrews, Dublin, spinster, 10th May 1744.”
Laurence is of Killeglan in one and of Ratoath in the other; these can both be correct because the Parish of Killeglan was united with the Parish of Ratoath in 1682.
Nothing is known about Jane Smith except that she came from the Parish of St Andrew’s which lies west of Grafton Street and which was soon to be developed with such town houses as Powerscourt House in William Street. In 1744 the Parish was a middle class neighbourhood. One would like to think of Jane as a relation of Anne (Smith) and Stephen Bomford of Gallow, an uncle of Laurence, but nothing has been found.
This paragraph concerns what looks like a single mortgage by Thomas of Clounstown to, initially, Jacob Pechell on the lands of Cushenstown and - of Kilmoon, Portlester and Bodman for £1,000.
Thomas Bomford of Clounstown mortgages to Jacob Pechell for £1,000 the lands of Cushinstown 418 plantation acres (677 statute), part of Kilmoon 100 plantation acres (162 statute), and Bodman 69 plantation acres (112 statute), all in the Barony of Skreen and Duleek, for the lives of Thomas Bomford of Clounstown, Arthur Bomford his brother, and Edward North. (Book 76 Page 349 No 54808)
Mark Whyte pays £1,000 to Jacob Pechell, with the consent of Thomas Bomford of Clounstown, and so takes over the mortgage of Cushinstown, Killmoon and Bodman. (Book 110 Page 351 No 77868)
A deed about the interest of the re-payment of the £1,000 mortgage by Mark Whyte to Jacob Pechell. (Book 116 Page 351 No 80820)
Mark Whyte mortgages for £1,283.2.9 to James Hornidge the town and lands of Cushinstown, part of Kilmoon, Portlester and Bodman. (Book 128 Page 441 No 87502)
This reads as though the mortgage is that of 1734 and that Mark Whyte is now simply passing it on to James Hornidge. The additional £283.2.9 would be the interest.
Thomas Bomford of Clownstown leases Cushinstown Portlester and Killmoon, then in the possession of John Grierson, containing 612 plantation acres (991 statute) to Mark Whyte. (Book 124 Page 477 No 85507)
Mark Whyte of Dublin agrees to make over to Thomas Bomford of Clownstowne the town and lands of Cushinstown, Portlester, and part of Killmoon containing 612 plantation acres (991 statute), which Thomas Bomford holds for lives renewable forever under Hercules Longford Rowley Esq.
Witnessed: John Jones of Dublin and Arthur McGuire of Dublin. (Book 143 Page 475 No 97847)
Thus the mortgage money was paid back to Mark Whyte who now hands back the land free of debts.
1. Benjamin Burton of Burton Hall, Co Catherlough (Carlow), grandson and heir of Charles Campbell, late of Dublin, deceased; and
2. Thomas Bomford of Clounstown, Co Meath, eldest son and heir of Oliver Burton late of Cushinstown, deceased. (Must be a clerical error for Oliver Bomford).
Two of the original lives, those of Andrew Bomford and Elizabeth Bomford in the lease of 17th February 1720 (2.15) made by Charles Campbell to Oliver Bomford, are dead.
Now Thomas Bomford nominates the lives of, Oliver Bomford of Rafeigh, Co Meath, brother of Thomas.
And Thomas Bomford, 2nd Son of Thomas, now aged about 10 in the lease of the town and lands of Pranstown containing 230 Plantation acres (373 statute) in the Barony of Skreen at a rent of £86.5.0.
Signed: Thomas Bomford. (Book 139 Page 92 No 93183)
1. This deed produces information for the family tree.
Elizabeth, the mother of Thomas and wife of Oliver and later of Rev John Echlin, has died. She must have been aged about 80. Andrew, son of Oliver, is also dead but he probably died before the lease of Killeglan of December 1743 (3.5.2).
Oliver, son of Oliver, is living at Rathfeigh. He would be about 40 or a little older now. In 1740 his older brother, Arthur, was at Rathfeigh but now that he is married he has probably moved to Dublin where he is next heard of in 1753, and Oliver now farms Rathfeigh. Thomas, second son of Thomas, was born in 1739. It is therefore likely that his sisters Anne, Elizabeth and maybe Frances were older than him.
2. Benjamin Burton married Lady Anne Ponsonby, 2nd daughter of the 1st Earl of Bessborough, in 1734. His father, Samuel Burton, married Anne, daughter of Charles Campbell in 1708 and inherited the Campbell estates, including Pranstown, when Charles, died. Anne was killed whilst watching the Coronation of King George I on 20th October 1714 when the scaffolding on which she was seated collapsed.
Thomas Bomford of Clownstown re-leases to Lancellot Shinton of Pranstown, Gentleman, the town and lands of Pranstown containing 223 plantation acres (361 statute) in the Barony of Skreen for the lives of
- Laurence Bomford, son of Oliver Bomford deceased,
- Oliver Bomford, brother of the said Thomas
- Thomas Bomford, 2nd son of the said Thomas,
at a rent of 10/- an acre, amounting to £111.17.6.
Signed: Thomas Bomford
Witnessed: John Jones of Dublin. (Book 143 Page 312 No 97089)
Lancelot Shinton is a brother of Jane Shinton, the wife of Thomas, and a younger brother of Richard Shinton of Gerardstown (see 3.4.1).
The following is extracted from the deed of 12th January 1764.
“Thomas Bomford of Clounstown possessed the land of Thorntowne, Co Meath, containing 80 plantation acres (130 statute) for 31 years from 1752.”
In the 1654 survey Thorntown consisted of 60 plantation acres bounded on the south with Clonestown (Clounstown), west with Rosse and north with Skreen. In 1749 it belonged to Jonathon Morton Heydell (or Pleydell) who had it surveyed that year. No doubt he leased it to Thomas Bomford. The map shows the outline of two adjacent buildings, most likely those of Maryville (see 15.3.1). Thorntown is not listed as a townland in the 1836 survey, at some prior date it was absorbed into the townland of Ross.
Whilst trying to tie up the large number of Bomfords not listed in Burke, and before it was clear that Oliver was a son of Colonel Laurence, I found in the Four Courts a land case with 63 pages of closely written evidence concerning the lands of Farragh in Co Westmeath. The mass of papers was not read thoroughly but those Bomfords taking part were noted down and proved essential to Oliver’s family tree.
The case lasted from 1731 to 1784, and it is now time to introduce Farragh, but if the time can be found the case would repay further study.
The Revd John Echlin and Elizabeth Echlin his wife, otherwise Wilson. (Also previously wife of Oliver)
Susanna Bomford, otherwise Wilson, widow, (wife of Laurence of Killeglan); and
Thomas Bomford of Rahinstown, Stephen Bomford of Gallow (Executors of the wills of Oliver and Laurence Bomford), and many others
It is not known when Farragh first became a Bomford property, but it looks as though it was originally a Wilson property and that Andrew Wilson left it to his nieces, Elizabeth and Susanna (1.10.1). The bequest might have been made when Andrew Wilson died in 1724 or it might have formed part of the niece’s marriage settlements. Elizabeth married Oliver Bomford about 1702 and Susanna married Laurence Bomford about 1705 (1.10). In the land record Farragh has been placed as a Bomford property from the later date of 1724. Both Oliver (2.20) and Laurence (2.21) died in 1721 so the sisters were left as widows at a time when all their children were minors. Thomas the elder son of Elizabeth (7.1.1) came of age in 1724, but Laurence the eldest son of Susanna (7.1.2) was still a minor at this date (1731).
Thomas of Rahinstown and Stephen of Gallow were involved only as executors of the wills of their two brothers, but it is interesting that they and Susanna were defending the case, whilst Elizabeth and John Echlin, whom she married in 1723, were the plaintiffs. The case would appear to be ‘Bomford versus Echlin’, or more probably the Bomford children’s inheritance versus the Echlin children’s. I imagine the case before the courts was a question of ownership: Did the land belong to the two mothers or did it belong to their children? This would not matter as far as Susanna was concerned because she did not marry again; but it would with Elizabeth who did re-marry, and as far as her part of the property was concerned the question was - should the land become Echlin property through her and her second marriage, or should it belong to the children and so remain in Bomford hands?
So one assumes that this was the question to be decided in this Court Case. The children, through their executors, were defending their right to Farragh, which Elizabeth and her new husband were claiming. The answer is somewhere in those 63 pages of evidence which dragged on through the courts for 53 years.
Susanna Bumford, otherwise Wilson, of Dunsink, Co Dublin, widow, makes over to Rev William Wilson of Shingliss, Co Westmeath, the lands of Farra, Rathbennett, Rathenisky, Lekeen and Ballywade, all in Co Westmeath. (Book 102 Page 469 No 71858)
Whatever claim Susanna had to these lands, she has now given them up to her brother, Rev William Wilson.
Thomas Bomford of Clounstown (son of Oliver and Elizabeth: 7.1.1) came into a fourth part of the land of Farragh at a rent of £77.1.0 but on the death of Elizabeth Echlin did not pay the rent, claiming that he was entitled to the land by inheritance from his mother, Elizabeth Echlin.
In 1753 John Echlin the younger (the barrister son of the Rev John Echlin), took Thomas Bomford to court and caused Thomas Bomford to take out a new lease (the 1756 one) and pay the back rent.
This court case could only be a small part of the whole case. The clue to another major issue in the case may be the following, extracted from the trust set up on the death of Thomas of Clounstown. At the time of his death in 1757 Thomas possessed a number of lands including “One quarter part of Farragh, Co Westmeath, belonging to the Incorporated Society in Dublin for Promoting English Protestant Schools in Ireland. Faragh is commonly subdivided into Ballyvad, Rathinisky or Rathenaske, Rathbennett, and Leckeen or Leckan.”
Since Thomas had 25% of the property one may assume that Susanna had another 25%, which she gave over to her brother. When reading through the case I was only concerned with the Bomfords, but it is quite possible that there was also trouble with the tenants of the other 50%, or indeed between the trustees of the Incorporated Society.
Rev John Echlin of Drogheda leases to Thomas Bomford the elder of Clownstown 140 plantation acres (227 statute) plus 22 acres (36 statute) of ‘overflown Bogg’ in the town and lands of Farragh, or Phara, and Ballywade with one quarter part of the profit rents of the Mills of Rathbennet and of the Fishery therein in Co Westmeath for the lives of
- Thomas Bomford the elder (formerly 'the younger', born 1703, died 1757, son of Oliver)
- Thomas Bomford the younger, (2nd son of Thomas Bomford the elder, died c1796) and
- John Bomford, 3rd son of Thomas Bomford the elder, (alive 1810) (see 7.1.1 for family tree)
at a rent of £77.1.0 renewable for ever.
Signed: Thomas Bomford
Witnessed: John Jones of Dublin; and Abraham Bettlewell of Garbalough, Co Meath, farmer (see Lancellott Shinton of Pranstown, Co Meath 7.8.1)
(Recorded in the Registry twice: Book 185 Page 95 No 122359; and Book 187 Page 198 No 124517)
This deed indicates that Rev John Echlin now owns the land but leases it to his eldest step-son, Thomas, who died in 1757, before the date of the following deed.
All these on the one part:
- Jane Bomford, widow and relict of Thomas Bomford the elder late of Clownstown, Gent, deceased (died 1757)
- John Jones of Dublin and John Lowther of Staffordstowne (both executors of the will of Thomas Bomford, deceased), and
- William Bomford of Cushionstowne, eldest son and heir of the above Thomas Bomford
lease to Robert Fetherston of Whiterock, Co Longford:
a. 140 plantation acres (227 statute) arable plus 22 acres (36 statute) bog in Farragh, otherwise Phara, and in small part lands in Ballywade together with one quarter of the profit from the Mill of Rathbennett and Fishery. (Book 204 Page 317 No 135612)
Also on the next day:
b. Lease of the lands of Farra (Farah) with the sub denominations commonly called Ballyvadd, Rathinisky or Rathenruske, Rathbennett, and Leckeen or Leckan in the Barony of Corkery, Co Westmeath, for 27 years at a rent of £93.4.2. (Book 204 Page 319 No 135614)
Also on the same day:
c. This lease contains part of Cullenhue known as Gobbinstown, Co Westmeath containing 48 plantation acres (78 statute). (Book 204 Page 318 No 135613)
1. It is not known when Farragh ceased to be a Bomford property; the above lease runs out in 1786 but in another deed there is a note to the effect that in 1772 the lease was given up and Robert Fetherston took it over.
2. The ordnance survey map of 1838 shows these places as townlands, not as subdivisions of Farragh. They all lie between Wilson’s Hospital and Multyfarnham, and the north eastern shore of Lough Iron, and are in the Parish of Leny except for Lackan.
- Cullenhue, 389 statute acres, is between the road and Lough Iron, and southeast of the River Inny. The Bomford portion consisted of 78 acres, which was called Gobbinstown.
- Farragh, 365 acres, is south of Cullenhue and runs along the shore of Lough Iron.
- Ballywade, 224 acres, is south of Cullenhue and between Farragh and the road.
- Rathenaske, 114 acres, is south of Ballywade and east of Farragh.
- Rathbennett, 333 acres, circles Rathenaske to the south and east.
- Lackan, 768 acres, in the Parish of Lackan, lies half a mile northeast of the other townlands. Its northern boundary is the south shore of Lough Derravaragh.
Andrew Wilson gave certain lands in trust in his will of 9th February 1724 to the Primate of Dublin and Tuam and to the Bishops of Meath and Kildare for a hospital in County Westmeath for the education of Protestant children. More land and money was added by the will of Rev William Wilson, Andrew’s nephew, in 1738. The building of the school was complete in 1762 and that same year an Act was passed for the establishment of this charity.
The Topographical Dictionary by Lewis of 1838 has more of interest under the heading of the Parish of Lackan, “On the summit of a hill is Wilson’s Hospital, founded and endowed by A. Wilson Esq. of Piercefield, for the support and education of 160 Protestant boys, with whom an apprentice fee of £10 is given on their leaving the school; and for 20 old male Protestants. The inhabitants of Westmeath have the preference, but those of adjacent counties are also eligible. The house is a handsome building in the form of a square, adorned with a cupola and two receding wings connected by a corridor, one of which includes the school-room and a dormitory, the other the dining hall and a dormitory, and there is a chapel handsomely fitted up. The Trustees are the Archbishops of Armagh, Dublin and Tuam, and the Bishops of Meath and Kilmore (not Kildare). A body of insurgents posted themselves at the hospital in the night of 5th September 1798, but were almost all killed the following day by part of Lord Cornwallis’s army.”
The school has recently been enlarged and now has over 250 pupils; both boys and girls, of all denominations but the trustees remain the same so there is a strong Church of Ireland influence.
Upton Paper 25/107 is a small published booklet entitled An Act for Incorporating the Trustees of Wilson’s Hospital in the County of Westmeath and for other purposes mentioned therein, with an Appendix containing by-laws, forms of application for admission etc, Dublin, The Sackville Press, 11&12 Findlater Place, 1923. The Act is referenced as 1761 (1GeoIII)c.3P. The document sets out the whole of a dispute and arbitration process over the will of Andrew Wilson (Leslie Mills email 21 Jul 2008).
The Incorporated Society for Promoting English Protestant Schools in Ireland, later just called the Incorporated Society, ran a number of schools throughout the country. The school at Farragh was an agricultural school intended primarily for Roman Catholic children. It started with 467 plantation acres (757 statute) in Farragh given by the Rev William Wilson in his will of 1738. It succeeded at first but later ran into difficulties and failed to attract students. It closed down about 1850.
The Rev John Echlin died ‘suddenly’ on 19th January 1763, aged 80, when he was Vicar of St Mary’s Drogheda. We do not know who his first wife was, but he had at least one child by her, John born in 1713 [who became John Echlin the barrister]. The first wife died and he married (ML 28th June 1723) Elizabeth, the widow of Oliver Bomford (3.1.1). As far as we know John Echlin and Elizabeth had no children, though she and Oliver had a number of children a bit older than young John Echlin, and since they were minors the two young families were brought up together in Drogheda.
The Echlin Memoirs and Leslie’s Succession Lists quoted in 3.1 gave much information to which we can now add Betham’s extract from Rev John Echlin’s will dated 30th December 1762, with probate dated 21st February 1763, which includes the following:
Nieces: Mary Kettlewell, Alice Cooper, Jane Savage, Elizabeth Parkinson, and Jane Molyneux
Sisters: Elizabeth Johnston and Echlin Molyneux.”
[Peter recorded Mary Kettlewell in this quotation and below as Mary Bettlewell. The original entry in Betham hasn't be rechecked, but Kettlewell is the correct name (Jim Murphy email 19 July 2007).]
In addition the Farragh Court Case records on 8th May 1784 “Revd John Echlin died in 1763, his heir was Revd John Echlin of Balderstown, Co Dublin, his grand-nephew.”
Since a grand-nephew was made his heir and only nieces and sisters are mentioned in the will, we can be pretty certain that his son, John the barrister, died before his father and that there are no other children alive in 1763.
There are some loose ends but the Echlin tree must be something like the following.
John ECHLIN, farmer, of Co Down, married and had six, though probably seven children:
1. David Echlin of Priestown, Co Down, born before 1680, died 1767. He must have succeeded to the Co Down lands. There is no evidence that he married.
2. Rev John Echlin [of Drogheda], born c1679 in Co Down, married firstly (name unknown) and his children included
a. John Echlin, born c1713 in Dublin, educated at Trinity College in Dublin (3.1.1), called to the Irish Bar in 1739, probably died between 1753 and 1763.
2. Rev John Echlin married secondly, marriage licence 28th June 1723, Elizabeth, widow of Oliver Bomford and niece of Andrew Wilson. They had no known children. Elizabeth died before 1749 and he died suddenly on 19th January1763. Jim Murphy (email 19 July 2007) advises that the Rev John Echlin who died in 1763 was well known to the Kettlewell family: he is listed in three deeds related to the Kettlewell family between the years 1746 & 1758.
3. Jane Echlin married her cousin John Echlin. He died in 1714 and she in 1744 having had:
a. Elizabeth Echlin, married Robert Parkinson.
b. Mary Echlin married Thomas Parkinson. She is not mentioned in the will but a niece, Mary Kettlewell, is and so it is possible that Thomas Parkinson died and Mary married secondly a Mr Kettlewell. Abraham Kettlewell, farmer, of Garbalough, Co Meath, witnessed the October 1757 deed of Farragh (7.7.4) and it is possible that he was Mary’s second husband. Jim Murphy (email 19 July 2007) advises that Abraham Kettlewell was a son of John Kettlewell of Callaghtown, Co Meath, and was married to Mary Kelly of Drogheda, on 10 February 1747 in St Mary's, Drogheda. Jim continues, "A John Echlin (possibly the Rev John's son [the lawyer]) is also mentioned in a deed relating to Abraham Kettlewell. There is also a reference to a Mary Kettlewell the wife of the Rev John Echlin, in a deed after the year 1768 [ie after both the Rev John Echlin and his son John Echlin the lawyer had died]. This Rev John could be the Rev John Echlin of Balderstown (e below), grand-nephew of the Rev John Echlin of Drogheda (2 above), and heir to his estate. It is possible that Abraham's wife Mary Kelly died, and that he married Mary Parkinson (nee-Echlin), daughter of Jane Echlin [a] sister of the Rev John Echlin of Drogheda. However it is also plausable that she [Mary Parkinson nee Echlin] married Charles Kettlewell, brother of Abraham Kettlewell. Charles was also married to a Mary, whose surname I have not yet discovered. Charles was also involved in property dealings with Rev John Echlin of Drogheda."
c. Anne Echlin, born about 1708, married about 1733 Laurence Bomford, 4th son of Oliver Bomford of Cushenstown. They had no known children. Anne is not mentioned in the will so she may have died before 1762; the last documentary mention of Laurence was in 1750.
d. Jane Echlin, married Philip Savage.
e. A son, probably, who married and had a son. This son would then be a grandnephew of the Rev John and, according to the Farragh court case, inherited:
i. Rev John Echlin of Balderstown, Co Dublin. (The other alternative is that the grand-nephew came from a marriage of David Echlin of Priestown.)
3. Jane Echlin probably married secondly Mr Molyneux and by him had:
f. Jane Molyneux. (This second marriage would account for the rather odd entry by Betham of ‘Sister, Echlin Molyneux’.) Jim Murphy adds, "The name Echlin Molyneux/Molineaux, is mentioned many times in the deeds of the Kettlewell family between 1777 & 1852. The last persons to hold the title to the Kettlewell family lands and properties in Ireland was the Rev Evans Kettlewell Molyneux & his brother the Rev Fredrick Echlin Molyneux. These two brothers' names are combined of four surnames, Evans, Kettlewell, Molyneux and Echlin. Of the four names listed, it is to date possible to directly link only two of the names together, Evans and Kettlewell; of the others I have not found any information to date, linking them directly to the surname Kettlewell."
4. Euphemia Echlin married Robert Kelly of Killough, Co Down
5. Elizabeth Echlin married Hugh Johnston and had:
a. Elizabeth Johnston.
6. Esther Echlin married John Jelly.
7. There must be one other sister who married Mr Cooper and they had a daughter, Alice. She would be Alice Cooper mentioned as a niece of Rev John in his will. The alternative would be that either Euphemia or Esther married again, but this is unlikely as neither of them is mentioned in the will.
In 1838 Lewis states that Echlinville in the Parish of St Andrews, Co Down, was occupied by John Echlin. Of course this may be a different branch of the family but Echlinville at Kircubbin on Strangford Lough was built around 1730; about 1850 the house was sold and renamed Rubane House.
Lease to Henry Upton of the lands of Legavoge and Lismacanican in the Barony of Castleraghan, Co Cavan, and Newpass, Co Westmeath, by a great many people; possible Wilson relations are listed.
1. William Wilson, late of Shingles, Co Westmeath, Clerk, deceased.
2. Emilia Rochfort, otherwise Wilson [& otherwise Eyre: see note 3a below].
3. Robert Fetherston of Whiterock, Co Longford, and Gertrude otherwise Donogher his wife, grand-daughter and heir of the Rev Archdeacon (of Ardagh, Co Longford) Thomas Taylor and Elinor Taylor otherwise Wilson his wife recently deceased. Elinor was one of the sisters and co-heirs of the said William Wilson.
4. Thomas Bumford of Clounstown, eldest son and heir of Elizabeth Bumford one of the sisters and co-heir of the said William Wilson.
5. Lawrence Bumford of Ratoath, eldest son and heir at law of Susanna Bumford, another sister and co-heir of the said William Wilson. (Note: Lawrence was written as Thomas but was corrected).
6. Andrew Wilson late of Piercefield, Co Westmeath mortgaged to Boleyn Whitney on 5th June 1719 various lands including those above. (Book 173 Page 316 No 116295)
This deed and other documents, particularly Andrew Wilson’s will (see 1.10.1), give a fair amount of information about the Wilson family, but there remain a number of gaps.
1. Andrew Wilson of Piercefield or Piersfield, Co Westmeath, died in March 1725 after he made his will in February 1724 (1.10.1). In it he named his wife Margaret; and his brother-in-law Thomas Strangman (Leslie Mills (email 10 Apr 2008) says the spelling in Upton is Strangman, not Strongman) and his wife Elizabeth. It is thought that Andrew had no living children when he made his will because he bequeathed his property to his three nieces and a nephew, and to found the school later called Wilson’s Hospital. .There is no information on Andrew's first wife.Margaret Eyre was a sister of Edward Eyre of Galway. Margaret was unlucky with her husbands. She married firstly the Hon Charles Annesley, 7th son of the 2nd Viscount Valentia who died in 1702; she then married secondly Colonel Ambrose Edgeworth who died in Dec 1710. Andrew was her third husband;after Andrew's death in 1725 left her a widow for the third time, she married fourthly, on 14 May 1726, John Meares of Mearescourt, Co Westmeath. She died Sept 1742 (or 1746 according to the IGI).
As Andrew's will names as his brother in law Thomas Strangman whose wife was Elizabeth, Andrew had a sister Elizabeth who married Thomas Strangman.
Leslie Mills (email 1 May 2008) advises that a Plaque inside Leny Church over the door leading to the Wilson vault (plaque now in the Chapel of Wilsons Hospital following the closure of the Church; also recorded in the Journal of the Memorials of the Dead in Ireland – Vol XI – p337)records:
“Underneath are interred Andrew Wilson of Piersfield Esq Founder of the Hospital on Heathland near this Church who departed this life in March 1725. Also Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Strangman Gent, and sister of sd Andrew who departed this life in Sept 1730. Also Margaret, daughter of the above Thomas and Elizabeth and wife of James Sheridan of Shercock in the County of Cavan, Gent, who departed this life ye 29th April 1739 and also James Sheridan of Shercock, aforesaid Gent who departed this life the 24th of Sept 1755”
2. Andrew’s will lists two nieces both named Elizabeth: Elizabeth Echlin, who first married Oliver Bomford and had children mentioned in the will; and Elizabeth Simpson who has no children mentioned in the will. It is not known who the parents of these two Elizabeths are, beyond that one parent in each case was a Wilson, brother or sister of Andrew, and that there are at least two of Andrew's siblings involved as the two Elizabeths cannot be sisters.
Possible siblings of Andrew Wilson are numerous. None is mentioned in his will. They include:
- Rev John Wilson, b c1661. From Trinity records, John entered Trinity College Dublin on 18 July 1681 aged 20, son of William, b Co Westmeath, Sch 1684, BA Vern 1686, MA Aestiva 1704. This John went on to become a cleric, at Theksynode (Taghsynod), Tashinny, Kildemock (Kilcommick), Shruell (Shrule) and Abbeyshrule (Ardagh) 1691-1717; Moyglare (Co Meath) 1709-19, and perhaps C Ballykean (Kildare) 1704 and C Geashill (Kildare) 1710 (Leslie Mills email 21 Jul 2008). Rev John was alive in 1718 but, because he was not mentioned concerning the marriages before 1710 and during his lifetime of the two Wilson sisters, Elizabeth and Susanna, it is thought that he is not their father;
- John Wilson, b c1653, entered Trinity College Dublin as Pen (Mr Newcome) Mar 19, 1669-70, aged about 16, son of Andrew, Presbyter; b Trim (Leslie Mills email 21 Jul 2008). Only one of these two Johns can be Andrew's brother as they have different fathers;
- Diana Wilson. According to the internet (http://www.ourfamilyhistories.com/hsdurbin/wash/sprowls1.html), Diana Wilson, a wealthy heiress and sister of Andrew Wilson of Shinglas Castle near Ballymore, married in 1669 Captain John Sproule who came to Athlone with a Highland Regiment about 1660. Possibly this is the same Shinglas where William Wilson (note 3a) was living, and Diana is a sister of William's father, a brother of Andrew;
- Thomas Wilson. Leslie Mills (email 10 Apr 2008) says the Upton papers suggest a brother Thomas Wilson of Farragh, who married an Elizabeth (surname unknown) and had children (note 3 below).
- Jacob Wilson. Leslie Mills (email 10 Apr 2008) says the Upton papers suggest a further brother for Andrew: Jacob; and
- Robert Wilson of Mullingar, who married Katharine Hodson who died 1709 and was a brother of Jacob and son of Anne (Leslie Mills email 21 Jul 2008).
3. One brother, perhaps Thomas (note 2 above), appears to have had a son and daughters, named in Andrew's will and linked as one family through the 1754 deed:
a. Rev William Wilson of Shingles or Shingless or Shinglass or Shingliss and later Piercefield, Co Westmeath. Vicar of Kilcommick, Co Longford, 1718 - 1743, following the Rev John Wilson as the incumbent; this is a possible reason for placing the Rev John as his uncle. William made his will in 1738 and died about 1743. He married Emilia Eyre, daughter of John Eyre locally known as ‘Proud Eyre’ of Eyrecourt, Co Galway. They had no children. Emilia married secondly on 24th May 1746 John Rochfort of Clogrenane, Co Carlow, and died 23rd August 1770. In his will Rev William donated more land to Wilson’s Hospital and also land for the school at Farragh (7.7.5).Notes from the will of Rev William Wilson of Shinglas, Co Westmeath. Dated 25 Marcy 1738 Proved in 1743 (Pregrogative Court). My nephew Thomas Bumford £300. My nephew Arthur Bumford £100. My nephew Oliver Bumford £100. The legacies left to Thos Bumford, Andrew Bumford and Oliver Bumford, three of the sons of Oliver Bumford of Cushinstown in Co Meath deceased to remain in the hands of Boleyn Whitney one of the executors until the legatees shall release the said Boleyn Whitney from all claims on account of administering to their father Oliver Bumford. My sister Elizabeth Ecclin, her daughter Elinor Cathcart. Margaret Ecclin, youngest daughter of the above mentioned Oliver Bumford. My Nephew Andrew Bumford. Laurence Bumford my nephew and son of Oliver Bumford. 2nd Codicil dated 15 Oct. 1740: £300 to the use of Wm Bumford, eldest son of my nephew Thomas Bumkford of Clownstown, Co Meath, gent. 3rd Codicil 1742 [month and day blank]: My nephews Laurence Bumford and Wilson Bumford and niece Elinor Bumford, being the children of Launence Bumford by my niece Susanna Bumford. My sister Susanna Bumford. My nephew Laurence Bukmford, son of Oliver Bumford. William Bumford, son to my nephew Thomas Bumford of Clownstown, Co Meath. Endorsement Rev John Wynn and others, Petrs Susanna Wilson, aka Bumford Defts (Irwin Papers, National Libary GO MS 433: Leonard Riley email 20 Feb 2009)
b. Elinor Wilson who married Thomas Taylor, who was born 1669, Archdeacon of Ardagh, Co Longford, 1705 - 1749 and died in April 1749. It is not known when Elinor died (perhaps it was she who was 'recently deceased' in the 1754 deed) but they had a daughter who married Mr Donogher and in turn they had a daughter Gertrude. This comes from the 1754 deed, which says Gertrude “otherwise Donogher, grand-daughter and heir of Rev Thomas Taylor”. Gertrude married Robert Fetherston of Whiterock, Co Longford. Robert was the only son of Francis Fetherston who in 1714 married Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Jessop of Doory Hall (see 14.2). The Bomford lands of Farragh eventually end up in Robert Fetherston’s hands.
c. Susanna Wilson, who in about 1705 married Laurence Bomford of Killeglan who died in 1721. Susanna lived on for perhaps 30 years as a widow. She is mentioned in 1745 (3.5.2) but although a beneficiary is not included in the above Wilson property deed; this indicates that she was dead, so she must have died between the years 1745 and 1754 when she was in her 60s. Their son Wilson married Anne Bomford (12.2.5).
d. Elizabeth Wilson, who married (1) Oliver Bomford of Cushenstown about 1702. Their eldest son, Thomas of Clounstown, is mentioned in the 1754 Wilson Property deed. Oliver Bomford died in 1721 and Elizabeth married (2) on 28th June 1723 (ML) Rev John Echlin who died in 1763. Elizabeth died before 1749. She is refered to in the 1754 deed as a sister of William Wilson of Shingles.
The records of Killucan Castlelost Parish, Rochfortbridge, in the Church of Ireland Library, Dublin, include, somewhat cryptically, under burials, '1827, Law [?Lawrence] Bomford, grand nephew[?] next of kin to founder of Wilson’s Hospital, Cottage, Killucan, Peter William Wilson' (Eva North email 17 April 2009).
4. Other Wilsons who appear in the deeds and who may be relations are: -
- 1726 (1.8.1) James Wilson of Curastown, Co Meath.
- 1767 (9.3.7) James Wilson of Parsonstown, Co Meath, who died 1780 (probate). This may be the James Wilson who before 1733 married Elizabeth Tew, niece of Thomas Bomford the elder of Rahinstown
- 1803 (16.6.1) Whillon Wilson and Jane Matthews his wife
- 1814 (18.9.2) Nicholas Loftus Wilson
- 1828 Rosina Wilson marries Thomas Muley
5. Boleyn Whitney
This deed states that Boleyn Whitney gave a mortgage on Andrew Wilson’s property in 1719. Lyon’s ‘Grand Juries of Westmeath’ includes the following concerning Boleyn Whitney “the third son of Colonel Whitney; who adopted the law as his profession, and attained a seat on the Bench. He came on the Lent 1754 circuit in Westmeath (the year of this deed). He drew up and was a trustee of the will of Andrew Wilson of Piercefield made in 1724 who left his estates to support the establishment of Wilson Hospital”. Boleyn Whitney was probably an ancestor of Sir Benjamin Whitney who in 1860 married Annabella North-Bomford (27.6.2)
6. Rev Ambrose Upton, 1688-1752, married Anna, a daughter of Boleyn Whitney of New Pass, Co Westmeath, on the Co Longford border, which may be the New Pass mentioned in the Wilson lease of 1754 (7.9) to Henry Upton, the brother of Ambrose. Whitney’s brother was probably George Boleyn Whitney of New Pass. The latter’s daughter Elizabeth married, c1780, Sir Thomas Fetherston, 2nd Bart, and the Fetherstonhaugh-Whitney family were living at New Pass until the first Great War.
James Hornidge of Dublin, trustee of Mark Whyte of Dublin, re-leases to Thomas Bomford of Clownstown the town and lands of Cushenstown, part of Kilmoon containing 418 plantation acres (677 statute), Portlester 100 plantation acres (162 statute) and Bodman 69 plantation acres (112 statute) situated in the Barony of Skeen and Duleek
Signed: James Hornidge
Witnessed: John Jones of Dublin; and Edward Matthews of Dublin, clerk to Mark Whyte
(Book 166 Page 423 No 112098)
1. It looks as though this is yet another mortgage on Cushenstown about which there is no other record.
2. James Hornidge of Dublin has been mentioned in a few deeds and in each he is connected to Mark Whyte so he may have been a solicitor or attorney working with Mark Whyte. In April 1747 (7.4.2) he took over Mark Whyte’s mortgage on Cushenstown, which originated with Thomas Bomford. In February 1750 he witnessed Mark Whyte’s lease of Hightown to Edward Bomford and when Mark died he became an executor of his will. James Hornidge died in 1771 (probate).
3. John Jones of Dublin was an executor of the will of Thomas Bomford of Clounstown (7.18) He witnessed most of the deeds concerning Cushenstown and Clounstown during this period and may have been retained by Thomas as his lawyer or Attorney.
Thomas Bomford of Clownestown leases to Mark Whyte of Dublin the land of Clownestown in the Barony of Skreen, Co Meath, containing 335 plantation acres (543 statute). (Book 166 Page 422 No 112097)
1. No money is mentioned but the deed of July 1784 (14.5.1) records a figure of £816.6.1 which must apply here.
2. The attorney Mark Whyte died in 1754 or 1753. His son and heir must also be named Mark Whyte though the latter spells his name “White”.
Mark White makes over to the Right Hon. William Yorke, Lord Chief Justice of the Court of Common Pleas, the lands of Clownstown in the Barony of Skreen. Thomas Bomford of Clownstown is a party to this. (Book 184 Page 46 No 121930)
Richard Gorges of Kilbrew farm lets to Oliver Bomford of Rafeigh the land of Kilbrew, lately in the possession of James Butterly, and now in the possession of Oliver Bomford, containing 91 plantation acres (147 statute) in the Barony of Ratoath for the lives of the said:
- Oliver Bomford, and
- William Bomford, eldest son of Thomas Bomford of Clounstown.
Signed: Oliver Bomford
Witnessed: Wilson Bomford of Rafeigh; John Smith of Kilbrew; and Richard Parsons of Dublin.
(Book 161 Page 415 No 109214)
Oliver Bomford of Rafeigh leases to John Rawlins of the City of Dublin the land of Kilbrew formerly held by John Butterly containing 31 plantation acres (50 statute) in the Barony of Ratoath for the lives of Oliver Bomford of Rathfeigh and William Bomford, eldest son of Thomas Bomford of Clownstown. The rent is to be paid to Richard Gorges. (Book 212 Page 135 No 138685)
1. Oliver leases 147 acres of Kilbrew from Richard Gorges and 10 years later sub-lets 50 acres to John Rawlins. Although no money is mentioned, the rent for the 50 acres, which has to be paid direct to Richard Gorges, will probably cover the total rent, so that Oliver can farm the remaining 97 acres rent-free.
2. Oliver Bomford was a farmer who lived at Rathfeigh from before 1749 to after 1761, there is no evidence that he married. Rathfeigh would appear to be the Bomford bachelor establishment, Arthur, Oliver’s elder brother, was there before he married and went to live in Dublin prior to 1753, and Oliver’s cousin Wilson Bomford lived there for a short time around 1751 before he too married and went to live in Dublin.
The next deed indicates that it was the elder brother Arthur Bomford who actually owned Rathfeigh, so he must have leased it to Oliver.
Mortgage between Arthur Bomford of Dublin and Edward Tonge, merchant of Dublin, for £300 for Rathfeigh made over to Arthur Bomford by Laurence Bomford. This mortgage was discharged on 8th May 1756. (Book 164 Page 367 No 110985)
Arthur Bomford (3rd son of Oliver of Cushenstown) of Rathfoy (Rathfeigh), Co Meath, Gentleman, promises and agrees with Weldon Tarlton of Killeigh, King’s Co, that when he marries Mary Tarlton, sister of Weldon Tarlton, Mary is to have one third of his estate on his death and the other two thirds to go to his children. (Book 228 Page 464 No 151991)
No marriage licence has been found but Mary was mentioned in her father’s, Digby Tarleton, will of September 1741 as ‘daur Mary’. If she were married her surname would have been entered in the will so it is likely that she was not married before September 1741. Her father’s will was proved in March 1742 so he probably died early in 1742. The wedding may not have taken place until after Digby died and this would account for a brother sponsoring the marriage settlement. All this places an element of doubt on a marriage in 1740 and all that can be said is that the marriage took place c1742.
There is no definite information about children but there is a probability that there were three daughters (see 12.1.2).
Extract from the marriage licence Bonds Prerogative, “Bomford Frances and Robert Madden 1753 ML”.
And the marriage licence issued to the Parish of Trevet gives the date of 26th February 1763 [?1753].
Frances was the eldest daughter of Thomas Bomford of Clounstown and a grandchild of Oliver of Cushenstown. She was born in Trevet (and so at home in Clounstown) about 1731.
During the reign of Henry VIII Hugh Madden was ‘of Bloxham. Beauchamp’. Bloxham is in Oxfordshire south of Banbury. Hugh’s grandson was John Madden, also of Bloxham Beauchamp, who died in May 1635. John had two sons; the elder son Thomas was the Comptroller to the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, the Earl of Strafford, and was the ancestor of the present Maddens of Hilton Park formerly called Maddenton at Clones, Co Monaghan; the second son was Robert who settled at Donore, Co Dublin, and was the ancestor of the Maddens of Meadesbrook (our Maddens) and, in the female line, of Oliver Goldsmith who at this date had just left Trinity and was on tour of Europe, on foot and with a flute.
We then lose sight of our Maddens for perhaps a couple of generations until we come to this marriage of Frances and Robert Madden. They lived at Meadesbrook in the Parish of Cushenstown and in the townland of Piercetown, so Frances went to live just down the road from her brother William at Cushenstown House. The 1836 survey records of Meadesbrook “A gentleman’s seat, with a small pleasure ground, a garden, an orchard and a pond attached”, but this is over 80 years later when “Mrs Madden” was living there. Meadesbrook is still occupied to this day, but the Maddens have left.
Frances and Robert Madden had three children (13.4). Because of her marriage date the girl was probably born first.
1. Anne Madden would have been born soon after the marriage since in June 1774 she married Joseph Rathborne of Ballymore, Co Meath, eldest son of William Rathborne of Dublin. This couple will appear later in the deeds (see 13.9.4).
2. John Madden became a clergyman. He was born in 1758 in Co Meath, no doubt at Meadesbrook, was educated at Trinity Dublin where he got a BA in 1781. He died in May 1845 aged 87, his death being reported in the Meath Herald. He was living at Meadesbrook in 1803.
3. Robert, about whom there is little definite information though he is mentioned in a couple of later deeds. He appears to have been a farmer.
There are three Rev John Maddens recorded by Canon Leslie and they all had parishes in the area. None of them match the eldest son, our Rev John Madden, but they must surely be relatives.
The first Rev John Madden was Rector of Kilmoon, which is only a couple of miles from Meadesbrook and his dates are such that he could easily be the father of Robert Madden, husband of Frances Bomford. According to Leslie this John Madden was the son of John Madden and born in Dublin in 1666. He was educated at Trinity and entered on 10th December 1683, age 17; scolar 1686, BA 1688, MA 1693. Installed Rector of Kilmoon 27th March 1695 and remained there until his death. He was also curate of Macetown from 1733, the parish to the west of Kilmoon. He died 25th November 1745 and his obituary states “Died at a very advanced age (79), John Madden, a gentleman, as remarkable in his exemplary and primitive piety as he was for upwards of 50 years in constant residence in his parish.”
He married Deborah Cooke of Halay, Queen’s Co in 1724 (ML 14th July 1724). As said before Rev John Madden and Deborah may well be the parents of our Robert Madden.
The second Rev John Madden was Rector of Tara from 1722 to 1734. Tara Church is about seven miles from Meadesbrook.
The third Rev John Madden was curate of Garristown, two miles east of Meadesbrook, from 1804 until 1811 when he became Curate of Dunshaughlin This might be Robert and Frances’ son except that there is a gap of 20 years between his leaving Trinity in 1781 and his first curacy, this is unlikely and so it is thought that their son must have gone to England and become a clergyman over there since he is not mentioned in the Church of Ireland records.
Extract from the Register of the Church of St Peter and St Kevin in Dublin, “William Bomford of Clonestown of the County of Meath, Gent, to Charity Ryder of Digges Street by the Reverend Mr Michael Sandys, with leave by a Consistory Licence March 22nd 1754.”
The marriage licence was granted by the Diocese of Dublin, Page 287.
Digges Street where Charity Ryder lived is between Stephen’s Green and St Patrick’s Cathedral. The Church of Saint Peter and Saint Kevin where they were married was close to Digges Street but has since been pulled down.
Charity Ryder was born c1724, daughter of Giles Ryder of Hyenstown, Co Dublin (born c1696 and died before March 1744 [1754 - if this date is from 7.17.1 2 f]). He (Giles) married in 1721 Mary Madden, born c1700 (daughter of John Madden and Anne Hamil). Charity and William had six children before she died in March 1764, leaving William with a very young family to bring up - see Chapter 13.
There are three deeds.
1. 15th March 1754. Charity Ryder of Dublin, spinster, leases to William Bomford of Clownstown, Co Meath, the town and lands of Surgolstown containing 125 plantation acres (203 statute) and Laurestown 80 plantation acres (130 statute) in the Barony of Nethercross, Co Dublin.
Signed: William Bomford. (Book 165 page 351 No 112169)
The townlands of Surgolstown and Laurestown are adjacent and lie about three miles northwest of Dublin Airport and very close to the Bolton property of Brazeel.
2. 16th March 1754. Marriage settlement between
a. Thomas Bomford of Clownstown and Jane, otherwise Shinton, his wife
b. Rev Michael Sandys and John Jones, both of the City of Dublin (Trustees)
c. William Bomford of Clownstown, eldest son and heir apparent to the above Thomas Bomford
d. Robert Madden of Meadsbrook, Co Meath (husband of Frances Bomford)
e. Arthur Bomford of Dublin (William’s uncle)
f. Charity Ryder of Dublin (if her father was alive he would have been mentioned).
On the marriage of William Bomford and Charity Ryder, Thomas Bomford makes over the lease of Cushinstown with part of Kilmoon containing 418 plantation acres (677 statute), Portlester containing 100 plantation acres (162 statute), and Bodman containing 69 plantation acres (112 statute), in trust to Reverend Michael Sandys and John Jones. (Book 166 Page 442 No 112170)
And as a postscript to the above:
3. 20th March 1754. An additional lease in trust for William and Charity. Thomas Bomford of Clounstown leases to Rev Michael Sandys and John Jones, upon trust, one fourth part of the lands of Farragh or Phara, one fourth part of the lands of Ballywade and Rathinsky, and the land of Rathbennett and Lisheen with its mills. (Book 168 Page 179 No 112155)
a. Thus Thomas placed nearly all his land in trust for his eldest son William on his marriage. As usual the trustees had to cater for Charity and his children should William die early leaving them destitute.
b. Concerning the two executors, John Jones was probably Thomas Bomford’s solicitor, and the Rev Michael Sandys married on 19th November 1742 Anne Ryder (c1722 – 24 Feb 1764), sister to Charity Ryder. At this time he was ‘Vicar Choral’ at nearby Saint Patrick’s Cathedral. There is a note on the Sandys family under 10.3.2.
Thomas Bomford of Clounstown, the eldest son of Oliver Bomford of Cushenstown and husband of Jane Shinton (3.4), died in 1757, probably in July as can be seen from this extract from Betham’s notebooks and Vicar’s Index to Prerogative Wills.
Thomas Bomford of Clounstown, Co Meath, Gent, 14th May 1754 (his will), 2nd September 1757 (probate)
wife: Jane ex (executor)
son: John Thomas
daurs: Anne; Elizabeth; Emilia; Jane; Christian; Frances, wife of Robert Madden of Meadsbrook in Co Meath
Eldest son: William.
The will is not to be found but much of the contents are recited in the next deed.
Another extract of the will has been found (Irwin Papers: National Library GO MS 432: Leonard Riley email 20 Feb 2009):
Will of Thomas Bomford of Clownstown, Co Meath, dated 14 May 1754, proved 2 Sep 1757. Wife Jane. John Jones of Dublin, gent, and John Lowther of Staffordstown, Co Meath, gent [executors]. Lands of Clownstown &c to be sold to pay fortunes(?) of children. Sons Thomas and John. Daughters Ann Bomford, Elizabeth Bomford Frances Madden, wife of Robert Madden of Meadsbrook, Co Meath, Emilia Bomford, Jane Bomford, Christian Bomford. When daughters attain 22 years and marry, &c. Eldest son William Bomford, 5 pounds to buy mourning, I have already given him a portion. Witness Philip Crofton, Wm Williams and Powel Laler
1. William Bomford of Cushinstown, Co Meath, eldest son and heir of Thomas Bomford, late of Clownstown deceased.
2. Jane Bomford (Shinton) of the City of Dublin, widow, John Jones of the City of Dublin, Gent, and John Lowther of Staffordstown, Co Meath. Executors of the will of Thomas Bomford.
3. Thomas Bomford of Dublin, Gent, second son of Thomas and Jane Bomford
4. John Bomford of Dublin, Gent, youngest son of Thomas and Jane
5. Hugh Lowther of Hurdlestown, Co Meath, and George Lowther of Staffordstown, Co Meath
At the time of his death Thomas Bomford possessed
- Clounstown in fee simple containing 335 plantation acres (543 statute)
- Brick, Co Meath, containing 75 plantation acres (122 statute) for 61 years from 1725 at a rent of £28. (Lease expires in 1786)
- Thorntowne, Co Meath, containing 80 plantation acres (130 statute) for 31 years from 1752. (Lease expires in 1783)
- One quarter part of Farragh or Faragh, Co Westmeath, belonging to the Incorporated Society in Dublin for Promoting English Protestant Schools in Ireland. Faragh is commonly subdivided into Ballyvadd, Rathinisky or Rathenaske, Rathbennett, and Leckeen or Leckan.
According to the will of Thomas Bomford dated 14th May 1754, Jane Bomford, his widow, is to receive an annuity of £50 from the land of Clownstowne with remainder to his two sons, Thomas and John.
To his daughters, Ann, Elizabeth, Emilia, Jane and Christian Bomford he Bequeaths £300 each at the age of 22 or on their marriage, if earlier. His brother, John Bomford, is to receive £1,000 in trust to cover £500 each when Thomas Bomford and John Bomford complete their apprenticeship. The deed of 16th June 1762 (missing) takes care of the girls' maintenance and education in which John Rochfort grants his interest in the lands of Comberstown or Cumberstown in Co Westmeath in trust for the children of Thomas and Jane Bomford.
Witnessed: Wilson Bomford of Dublin, merchant; and Robert Madden of Maidsbrook, Co Meath. (Book 230 Page 253 No 150846)
1. “His (Thomas) brother John Bomford” must be another son of Oliver the elder. He is not included in the Upton Papers, but this deed is quite clear and so he has been added to the family tree. As he is one of the few brothers still alive he has been added as the youngest son.
His nephews, the two apprentices Thomas and John, would now be about 25.
2. The daughters of Thomas are all listed except for Frances, and she must have died. The question is when; she was alive when Thomas made his will in 1754. Her eldest son John Madden was born in 1758 and her other son Robert Madden was probably born in 1760, so Frances must have died between the years 1760 and 1764. Her husband, Robert Madden of Meadesbrook, witnessed this deed.
3. The other person who witnessed the deed was Wilson Bomford who was a brewer and distiller in Dublin. Wilson was a son of Laurence the elder of Killeglan and a first cousin of Thomas of Clounstown. In January 1759 Wilson married Thomas’s daughter Anne and so became Thomas’ son-in-law (12.2.5).
It may have been Wilson the brewer to whom Thomas and John were apprenticed. Thomas inherited land, which he later farmed, but John was later termed ‘Merchant of Dublin’ which no doubt had something to do with his apprenticeship.
4. The Lowther family appear a number of times, mainly concerning the will of Thomas of Clounstown, but also as a trustee of the marriage settlement of Thomas’s son, John and Dorcas Ahmuty (14.10).
George Lowther lived at Hurdlestown, four miles from Kells on the Navan road, opposite Bloomsbury. He died in 1734 and left two sons:
a. Hugh Lowther of Hurdlestown who was an executor of the trust in this deed. When his lease of Hurdlestown was renewed in 1744 by Charles Tisdall, his wife Abigail Lowther and three of his children were named as ‘lives’; however it looks as though Hugh had died before 1784, since at that date Hurdlestown was the home of his nephew, George Lowther (see below)
b. John Lowther of Staffordstown, 2½ miles southeast of Navan in the Parish of Follistown, was an executor of the will of Thomas Bomford and also a trustee of John Bomford’s marriage settlement (14.10). He married Anne who died a widow in 1788; he died in 1782 and left an eldest son, George Lowther of Staffordstown in 1764. On the death of his father he took over as executor of Thomas Bomford’s will and was involved with the sale of Clounstown, July 1784. George was also coupled with his uncle in the trust fund of this deed, and took over Hurdlestown before 1784, probably on his uncle’s death.
5. The land of Cumberstown, Co Westmeath, the rents from which were used to maintain and educate Thomas Bomford’s daughters, was probably one of the original properties of Andrew Wilson, which were bequeathed to his nephew, Rev William Wilson. When William Wilson died c1743 the land passed to his wife Emilia (Eyre). In 1746 Emilia married secondly John Rochfort of Clogrenane, Co Carlow. Emilia lived until 1770 but this deed only mentions her husband, John Rochfort.
John Rochfort was a descendant of the Norman family of de Rochfort who settled in Co Westmeath. Their name was given to the small village of Rochfort Bridge. This village was formerly called ‘Beggar’s Bridge’ because tradition states that a beggar died here with enough money in his pockets to build the bridge which crosses a small stream at the east end of the village.
At this time the main branch of the family lived at Gaulstown, a gloomy mansion to the south of Enniscoffey and the other Bomford properties in Westmeath, owned by Robert Rochfort who became the first Earl of Belvedere. Robert’s younger brother George lived at Rochfort House, a huge three storey square house which George built in 1742, later renamed Tudenham Hall, overlooking Lough Ennell and west of Gurteen another Bomford property; Robert’s youngest brother Arthur lived at Belfield House beside Gaulstown.
In 1736 the Earl married secondly the sixteen-year-old daughter of Viscount Molesworth of Dublin. Not many years passed before the Earl accused his young wife of a liaison with his youngest brother Arthur. He locked her up at Gaulstown and there she remained a virtual prisoner for 31 years being allowed to see no-one except the servants, above all she must not be seen by her husband so she had to ring a bell as she moved from room to room, and a servant with a bell was posted outside her door. In the meantime brother Arthur had fled the country and settled in Yorkshire. Around 1759 he returned to Ireland and Robert sued him for adultery with his wife 16 years before. Arthur was unable to pay and spent the rest of his life in jail.
Robert the Earl became fed up with life at Gaulstown so he built himself an exquisite house in the early 1740s, much smaller but expensively furnished and decorated overlooking Lough Ennel, called Belvedere House. There he adopted a bachelor type lifestyle with many riotous drunken parties, but with great elegance and luxury. Unfortunately he then had a colossal quarrel with his other brother George whose house overlooked Belvedere House; he became so jealous of his brother that at enormous expense he built an artificial ruin of an abbey 45 metres high between the two houses so that the view of his brother’s house, Rochfort House, was blotted out. The ruin, which was built by a celebrated Italian architect, still stands today and is known as the Jealous Wall; it is said to be the largest purposely built ruin of its kind in Ireland and certainly the most expensive.
The ‘Wicked Earl’ died in 1774 when his 55-year-old wife was released by her son and continued to protest her innocence even on her deathbed some years later. Needless to say his son inherited an estate, which was well into the red, but he did surprisingly well and was able to rebuild Gaulstown in the late 1700s, he also built a fine Dublin house, which is now Belvedere College. The 2nd Earl left no direct heirs and the title became extinct, his sister Jane, Countess of Lanesborough, succeeded to the property.
In 1838 Lewis reports that Colonel Rochfort, George’s son, was living at Rochfort House; he had just sold the place to Sir Francis Hopkins, and Gustavus Rochfort was living in Birmingham House on Enniscoffey, a house built after the Bomfords left Enniscoffey. The 2nd Earl sold Gaulstown in 1784 to Lord Kilmaine and the Kilmaines lived there until 1918; the house was burnt down during the troubles in 1920 and has since been demolished.